Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Hof adventures and surprises

On November 11 I had a doctors appointment before a scheduled surgery on my right shoulder.  When we came home we were unable to enter any of the streets around our apartment building.  The grey map shows our attempted route home.  The little x's are the streets blocked off and the dots are where I finally got out and moved a cone to get to our parking lot behind our house.  After we got home we walked to the next corner where all the excitement was occurring.  There was a fire in a Diakonie, which is a state sponsored home run by the Lutheran Church for people who have no income or home.  One of the fire fighters said they often have fires at this location.  Dave spent a bit of time taking pictures.

The fire department for this town of about 44,000 is very modern as you can see.  Note the fire hydrant coming out of the street. We never did see any smoke or flames so they were very effective and prompt.  Since this town has a history of some major conflagrations, the latest in 1823, that is a very good thing.







Then on November 14 I had outpatient surgery on my shoulder for what they thought was a torn tendon but when they got inside they saw that the injury was so old they could not do anything to repair it.  We have no idea when this happened.  So now I have to work really hard to get back the mobility I had before the surgery.  I am guiltily enjoying not going to so many meetings and staying home recuperating.  I start  Physical Therapy tomorrow and plan to cook for institute tomorrow evening with the help of my good husband who will cook the chili and cornbread and all I have to do is get it on the table.

When Dave came home today from District Conference he noticed this newspaper in the hall of our building.  The caption only mentions that the picture is from the USA. We know more!

No comments:

Post a Comment